We’re Loud And Quiet. We produce a bi-monthly music magazine, this website and a host of podcasts, all powered by our members who share our belief that independent music and journalism is worth protecting.
Loud And Quiet was started by Stuart Stubbs in a spare bedroom in Southend-on-Sea, Essex, in January 2005. Stuart printed 150 copies of the his first fanzine on a home printer and gave them out in record stores and at shows in London. Since then, it has existed in a few different print formats, including a monthly tabloid newspaper and its current glossy incarnation.
Over the last 15 years, Loud And Quiet has also hosted live shows and photography exhibitions, hosted radio shows and ongoing podcast series (including Midnight Chats), released records, and worked closely with some of the world’s best festivals, including Primavera Sound and End of the Road.
In 2020, amidst the worldwide coronavirus pandemic, we were forced to revaluate how we supported everything we do. Advertising alone was no longer a possible option, so we launched a membership scheme.
By becoming a member, readers receive a whole bunch of special content every week, from physical magazines and limited merch to digital playlists, podcasts and tickets to the live events we’re involved in.
What we believe in
Across everything we do, we believe it is our responsibility to play our part in:
- Readdressing the gender imbalance within the music industry.
- Providing a place of representation for people of colour.
- Providing a place of representation for members of the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Treating our dedicated team of writers, photographers and illustrators with the respect they deserve.
- Striving to pay our contributors as fairly as we possibly can.
- Rejecting any kind of pay gap in accordance to a person’s gender, race or identity.
- Fully respecting the artists we feature.
- Publishing what we believe to be true and respecting our contributors’ opinions without influence from outside sources, including advertisers.
That all makes it sound quite serious, but on top of all that, ultimately we love finding new music and sharing it as much as possible.
Q: Can I contribute to Loud And Quiet?
A: There’s a good chance that you can. Send examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll check out your stuff. We do get a lot of submissions, so please bare with us. We’ll get back to you asap.
Q: Can I advertise in Loud And Quiet?
A: Please do. Even if you’re a small DIY label, indie club night or self-funded band, we offer prices and ad sizes suitable for all. Email email@example.com for more info.
Q: Do you offer up work experience placement?
A: Afraid not, no. Trust us, you’d be bored out of your mind.